.quickedit{display:none;}

Friday, January 10, 2014

Today I'm thankful for...

...words and books.



This old dictionary -- published in 1947 -- was a wonderful discovery made on one of my 'treasure' hunts.  Its heavy, full of so many words, their definitions and even some sketched pictures.  I can imagine the artist laboring over these very small illustrations and I am  grateful that I found this bit of history.



I admit that I'm old-fashioned -- I do all my reading in 'real' books. I love to turn the pages and to put book marks inside so that I can find my way when I come back.  The turning of a page still thrills me and I am so grateful to have the joy of the printed word in my life.

As you can see a tome this heavy sometimes does double duty as a leaf press.

"Every time I have to look up a word in the dictionary, I'm delighted." - Vivienne Westwood

7 comments:

  1. Since I got the Nexus, I'm ok with reading novels on it. I don't even mind looking up word definitions on the net. But there is something about an old book, or a beloved book that evokes feelings of pride in ownership. When I was a kid, my second home was the library. I still love to go, but I admit I miss the one in Michigan City which was in an old mansion. So much more serene than a new modern building.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and when it gets REALLY old and crappy...

    ...you can use the pages for artistic collage projects!!

    I'm a recent convert to the Nexus, but still like the feel of a book in my hand. As Carol says...novels are ok on the tablet, but REAL reading still needs a pile of paper between 2 covers.

    x c

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely beautiful and useful! Kindles are all very well in their way but you can't beat the experience of a real book. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhh....definitely a breath of fresh air in this digital world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love books, but also but old, no longer loved ones for collage and other projects. I'm a very happy library camper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course I meant but use and not "but old". Danged auto correct!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer real books, too, even that strange papery smell..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...