.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Self-Centered

                                        Image from Google Images


Self-centered: Centered in oneself or itself.

I discovered something these past two weeks.  Although I don't think I'm a 'selfish' person, my normal, everyday life is definitely 'self-centered'.  I make my own schedule, I do what I want to do when I want to do it, I live exactly the way I want with everything in its place according to my whims.  Part way into my Nevada visit I realized that I hadn't had any of the 'normal' aches and pains that my body seems to send my way at this time in my life.  I pondered on this and began to understand that with my sudden thrust into living with children and dogs seemingly everywhere, all of my priorites had disappeared -- I was far too busy to think about hurting or to even think about what "I" wanted to do each day. There were little, and not so little, people and dogs counting on me and I had literally 'forgotten' myself.

I determined at that time that not only had I traveled to another state - a country away from my own home - I had traveled to a different 'time zone' within myself.  I was concentrating on what was best for the 'group'; my goals for each day were only to go with the flow and let others determine each day. Once I realized this I could only embrace it.  In a way it was truly a vacation from 'self' and very refreshing!

"The most satisfying thing in life is to have been able to give a large part of one's self to others." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin


5 comments:

  1. Being busy because of external demands is actually very good for us, I think. I suspect this is why society ladies were more susceptible to their nerves than working women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, Penny! A little reminder that the world doesn't always revolve around us is good, but fess up, were you more tired than usual? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. busy can be freeing in a way. But when all is said and done that deep breath and long sigh say soooo much! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever the change, I think it's good sometimes to do something different from our normal routines. Glad to hear it's been a positive one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully written sentiments, Penny. I have had that happen to me, but not for a long time (life patterns change little these days). Isn't it curious about the "normal" aches...? Again, I've known that one. And I always forget about it later when I go back to old, familiar ways. Those ways are not always the best, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...