.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, October 15, 2012

Lots of Stitches



Some thoughts on the recent quilt show that I visited...  Remember the story about the Blue Ridge Parkway and the tunnels?  Here is one tunnel represented in fabric and stitch.  It looked like one could just walk right into that tunnel.



There were traditional quilts...



...there were fantasy quilts...


...and there were contemporary quilts.

I later thought about the numbers -- the teeny, tiny stitches (both hand and machine); the fabrics - in all the colors of the rainbow and beyond; the shapes and patterns.  Last but not least the hours, days, months of stitching.  It was an honor to be able to see all of this beautiful work in one place at one time.

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way -- things I had no words for." - Georgia O'Keefe

3 comments:

  1. I never dare think of the numbers with stitching - altogether too hair-raising a thought - just rejoice in the colours and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That tunnel is incredibly 3D...and the numbers of stitches in all hand made things are daunting. Good to think of them after the fact, not before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous selection you've made - love them all!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...