.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, October 5, 2015

Making a Mess


Recently, I was going through a 'what should I make next' quandry.  It became visual as I started taking out this and that - going through 'stuff', laying things down for consideration.  I finally noticed that the messier I got and the more cluttered my work table became the same thing was happening in my mind.



My thoughts were messy, unformed, full of detritus that was getting in the way of what I might really want to do.
 Realizing that nothing I might make would take each and every scrap of cloth or carefully saved trinket that I had on hand.  A day was spent sorting, processing and stashing stash for another day/project.

Amazingly, as things got tidier and tidier so did my brain.  My concept was becoming clearer.  And with a more orderly studio existence I'm having fun once again -- uh-oh here comes another mess. 

"In the scope of a happy life, a messy desk or an overstuffed coat closet is a trivial thing, yet I find - and hear from other people that they agree - that getting rid of clutter gives a disproportionate boost to happiness." - Gretchen Rubin

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes the clutter just gives me the jitters. I want to just pick everything up and throw it away....oh, not my craft clutter. . kitchen counter clutter etc. I've been pretty good about keeping craft clutter under control. I have begun using 12 x 12 plastic scrapbook boxes as project boxes. That's AFTER I have rifted through my supplies to find what I am using. You are SO right. It's hard to focus through CLUTTER!! So, I wonder what you are up to now?!?
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree too....Last winter I hoed out a lot of stuff and donated it, and organized my studio at the same time. I rally felt like it was my brain that was getting the overhaul. It's funny, because after that, I took a long break from art making. That helped too. I'm not really sure of my direction most of the time, but a break and a good clean-up helped me focus my thoughts better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the peek into your creative process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's such a good way of getting your brain back into the creative groove. Our minds really don't function well in too much mess - or that's what I keep telling my 17yr old!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It becomes an interesting challenge to balance a gentle bit of creative chaos with the right amount of organisation!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that I am opening my studio once a month I have to clear up quite often, I find it helps quite a lot as I can only get a few bits and pieces out at a time, it does become quite a constructive process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I clean, organize, lose stuff, then start dragging everything out again looking for just the right fabric or embellishment. It seems a never-ending cycle!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...