.quickedit{display:none;}

Friday, July 17, 2015

Loving Linen


These days I'm 'loving linen'.  Its not a fabric that I've used much before, always forgoing it for clothes since it wrinkles so easily.  BUT I have recently rediscovered it for crafting. Thanks to my favorite thrift store where I recently found a lovely 100% linen shirt, I've been on a linen quest.



In my searching I've found these four lovely linen garments, which have been washed, cut apart and folded -- waiting for my scissors and thread.  Finding linen in a fabric store in our area would be impossible and so  my linen hunt takes me from thrift shop to thrift
shop.  I send out a thank you to those who have donated these items.  I'm sure they never dreamed that their garment might one day become a bird or two.



What better fabric to use for making cloth birds than linen? Its all natural, coming from the Flax plant and has a lovely texture.  The colors are often quite natural -- earthy tones -- perfect for the basic body of a bird or two. 

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of intellectual interest.  It is the greatest source of so much of life that makes life worth living." - David Attenborough




6 comments:

  1. I remember when I first started sewing back in high school, linen was quite easy to find. I remember making several clothing items with it. Back then, every fabric wrinkled and we ironed EVERYTHING. Then the dreaded polyester was invented...ack!! 100% Poly...glad we dumped THAT fad. I'm not sure if I could find any linen in my fabric stash, but you are right. It's perfect for birds.
    Have a great weekend.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love linen and can't wait for the birds that will emerge from your new stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fabulous soft colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I'm willing to put up with the ironing because I like wearing linen, but embroidering it is one of the real pleasures of life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy that you will be using recycled clothing to make your wonderful, whimsical creations. They make for the most interesting and unique creations!! I've got a stash of clothing just waiting for inspiration to strike.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...