.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, April 25, 2016

Keeping It Simple?


My idea was to make pockets -- different sizes -- different shapes -- lots of frou-frou. The "frou" thoughts came from some of the pockets such as this one by Cottage Dreams.  I love it, and those like it.  I love the clusters of lace and trim and this and that.



My first pocket came about as a 'trial'.  I didn't know what I was doing, but using some left over natural colored fabric I began the adventure.  I had a charm pack of fabric that I had fallen in love with so I let it lead the way as I laid piece by piece on both pocket sides.

As I worked I realized that this pocket was not what I had imagined my pockets to be.  This pocket was simple, natural, subdued and I liked it.  But what happened to my desire for busyness with layer upon layer of ribbon and lace?  As I began the second pocket I was still striving for "that look" - but once again it arrived as subdued and modest.  

As I work on my fourth pocket I realize that the most important part of creating is to be me - to let go and follow my inner self.  Trying to imitate never works, nor is it comfortable. So for now I'll follow my own heart and thoughts as I match fabric and trim and stitching -- and stay with quiet, soft and simple.

"I've learned that its not really about changing who you are, but realizing who you've always been - and then letting that flow into everything you think, say and do."  possibilityoftoday.com

9 comments:

  1. I think I am rather like you, love the look of from from but somehow it is not me and I never quite manage it. Looking forward to seeing the finished pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its all about finding your own interpretation of something, then it becomes yours and not somebody else's way of doing things. Your work has never given me the idea that you are a frou frou type of person but it is still always beautiful and enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you-it's fun to try new things and new styles-but in the end, to just be yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting, isn't it, to find that a look one particularly loves, coming from someone else, somehow doesn't quite turn out that way when tried at home in the studio...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that was a secret and you found the answer, but you knew it all along, didn't you! This reminds me of me drooling over Crazy Quilt all frau frau and embellished with laces and ribbon embroidery. I even took a class and just couldn't make myself create anything remotely similar.

    What I have always loved about your art is...what I call earthy...AND I really think I could spot your art anywhere. You have a distinctive style that carries forward through any genre you choose to be focusing on at the time. I just can't see you creating a piece that is all gussied up.

    I love your art and I love this post.
    Much Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lessons are always there to be learned, aren't they? Your work is simply beautiful and an extension of your Self.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I much prefer your approach! Elegant simplicity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and I are both children of keeping it simple, I think. The top pic of the one that inspired you isn't simple! I love it too, but don't think I'd be able to try one like it. Be true to thyself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You and I are both children of keeping it simple, I think. The top pic of the one that inspired you isn't simple! I love it too, but don't think I'd be able to try one like it. Be true to thyself!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...