.quickedit{display:none;}

Friday, January 16, 2015

"Perception"



Perception of mind - enomena.deviantart

I've been delving into the word 'perception' and all its meanings and ramifications.  Its really a HUGE word -- full of possibilities and questions and answers.  In some ways we are ruled by our perceptions.  Each day our minds are busy perceiving, whether we are aware of it or not.  And, think about this - our new perceptions are often built on our old perceptions.  Gosh there's a lot going on up there!

Perception is the reason three people can view an incident and yet relate back three different versions of it.  It can often be the cause of disagreements because each person is coming at the situation with a different perception.  I've learned over the years not to always trust my perceptions.  Viewing a person through preconceived notions has led me away from them instead of toward them.  And yet, when I actually get to know the person I find that we are more alike than not alike and we often become very  good friends.  Sneaky things those perceptions.

These days I think that sometimes my perceptions should be put into a closet somewhere. Sometimes I need a bit of mystery, magic and fun no matter how much it flies in the face of my own reality. Sometimes I need to open myself up completely and let new, fun, magical impressions come in. I want to fill my  life journey with new knowledge and magic and see where it takes me.  How about you?

"Miracles happen everyday, change your perception of what a miracle is and you'll see them all around you." - Jon Bon Jovi

5 comments:

  1. Goodness, how very profound! It's certainly true that I've learnt that the most alarming-looking people can share some of my own interests and outlooks, although usually not all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to all of it, Penny! Sadly though, I guess I need to alter my perceptions when I'd rather blame the heat of a moment on the fact that men are from Mars and women from Venus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned that perception is EVERYTHING and I learned it the hard way. Not what I perceived..but the perception I emitted in a certain situation. Most times people never know the truth because they have a perception of the situation that often can't be changed. I'm pretty good at my perception of people..really I am. I read an article the other day that said sometimes that's because you have lived past lives and learned in a past life how people act. But then THAT is a whole other subject isn't it.

    In short I am more concerned about how I am perceived than how I perceive. I keep an open mind to situations and can usually see all sides. But I am not very good at showing myself to others. A definite problem with how I am perceived.

    You always ask a though provoking question. Good post.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our perceptions are as individual and unique as we are ourselves, and we can learn so much by observing how other people perceive their own world. This is one reason I love art and artists, because you get to view the world from another person's viewpoint. It's always fascinating to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've struggled for many years with the fact that others perceive me in a way that I didn't know I was projecting. For example my studious, concentration face is perceived as anger or disapproval. I'm trying to be better at explaining what's on my mind so that my significant people don't have to guess by the look on my face.

    It also drives me nuts when people hear what they think I'm saying rather than what I'm really saying. he problem of people hearing what they think I'm saying, though, is something I don't know how to solve; they are going to see and hear me through the filter of their own experiences no matter what I do.

    I can only work on my own way of seeing, hearing, perceiving and stay open to the possibilities and miracles that come my way!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...