.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Sample Stitches

Front side of sampler levels 2, 3, 4 and 5

After experimenting a little bit with various loop levels I decided that I needed to prepare a sampler of the various loop heights when punched with different needle levels.  The levels on my punchneedle go from 1 to 12.  I had gone up as high as 5 on the 'Pathways' abstract and wondered what would happen if I ventured even further from my comfort zone of 1, 2 and 3.

Front side of sampler - levels 7 and 8

I made a series of squares and started punching with level 1 - slowly moving up the range until I finished level 8.  At level 8 I decided to stop because the loops were so large that I didn't quite see myself going any higher on the range in my normal work.  After looking at these sample squares however, I'm thinking that I might add a level 12 because it could give me long, loopy loops from which I could dangle something.  I love learning new-to-me things about my craft.

backside of sampler stitches

I'll keep this sampler close by as I work on future pieces and we'll see how much additional texture I can create by varying the depth of the loops from section to section, stitch to stitch.

"The combination of experience and experimentation will ultimately yield a personal sound". - Mark White

2 comments:

  1. I love these, Penny, especially admire them because I would never do as much work as this to organize any of my projects. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I love the backs as much as the fronts of course. Like the Mark White quote too...so true yet so beautifully said.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...