.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Button Quest

Lately I've been on a button quest.  Not just any buttons will do -- they must be at least 1-1/4" diameter -- they must look contemporary -- they must look like they came from the earth, carved or sculpted from wood or stone or any manner of natural material.

Luckily for me - I found some of these treasures locally.  One source was a surprise to me and that was Hancock Fabrics.  I knew they had a lot of buttons there, but they are now carrying some lines that feature larger, natural looking buttons - just what I've been looking for.  Another local source is Waechter's Silk Shop - a wonderful fabric store in Asheville where they have a whole wall of buttons. 

Now that I have this lovely pile in front of me, my fingers are itching to create more abstract punchneedle pieces where I can attach a little 'piece of the earth'.

"If one way be better than another, that you may be sure is nature's way". - Aristotle

5 comments:

  1. I keep hinting to my son-in-law that I would like some buttons made of deer antlers. He sometimes finds the antlers once they have been shed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hancock is my fav fab store. They have a great selection of buttons. I never have enough and love to pick up the unusual when there is a sale.
    Whatcha gonna do with the buttons?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penny! Lovely to be part of your preparation for your next piece - to 'feel' the time and focus you have put in to gathering the right parts to create the whole. Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh...now I will look in my buttons again for larger ones with natural characteristics. Can't wait to see more pieces punched around these little pieces of the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very fine cache from your quest...I look forward to seeing them adorn more felt.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...