.quickedit{display:none;}

Friday, January 7, 2011

Winter Thoughts


This is turning out to be a winter we will all remember.  Over the Christmas holiday, here in our little nook of western North Carolina, we received 9" of snow.  That set a record - going back to 1969.  It was beautiful and I loved that it fell on Christmas day itself.

Many of our friends in the UK and in Europe were 'snowed' in earlier in the month and another set of storms in California and Nevada brought torrential rains, flooding and mud slides. Nature once again has shown us that we are but small players in this universe of life. 

As I sat here, looking out at the beauty that the snow had brought, there was this small voice inside that asking 'when are they going to clear the roads?', 'what appointments will I have to cancel'?  Fortunately that voice is much smaller these days than it was in my earlier years. I remember days when I just knew I had to get to work, come snow, ice or whatever.  One time I broke two ribs after a fall trying to hike up a hill a block from work. Was that one day at work worth it?  Of course it wasn't.  But I guess that's the human spirit to think that we can tame the natural world.

For me - a few days of imposed quiet within the confines of my house and yard are just fine.  For now I'll enjoy the beauty knowing that the snow will soon melt and all will be back to 'normal'.

"Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather". - John Ruskin

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh...lovely thoughts as I sit here on Friday morning watching yet more snow fall in south Jersey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, we're supposed to get 8" - 10" over the weekend. That will pretty much paralyze our little corner of the world. Good excuse to stay at my worktable and play!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...