.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Face Forward


For months now, as some of you know, I've been wrestling with art doll faces.  I have tried beaded faces, punchneedle faces, printed faces, embroidered faces, square faces and round faces.  I have made up templates and I have stitched and stitched and stitched.  Each time, I will make a few and two days later I am back at the drawing board because I'm not happy with what I've created.  I've begun to doubt my sanity *smile*!

For whatever personal reasons I have certain criteria that the face must meet and so far none of them has quite lived up to my expectations.  I want to have a face theme that I can use over and over again.  It must be comprised of fabric and stitchery.  It must not be too cute, nor too sophisticated, nor too somber. It must be simple in design - humble if you will.   It must be somewhat quiet and yet reflect a joy for life.  This is what I've been searching for.

With all of this in mind and with all of my past attempts behind me, I recently began again with what I hoped would be the design.  And I did it!  I accomplished what I was beginning to think wasn't going to be possible. Using overstitching on the base fabric (which has a tinge of color) I was able to give a bit of 'texture' to a simple design. I know that anyone looking at this face would say 'what was all the fuss about' and I really can't begin to tell you.  It was sort of like looking for a piece of furniture and saying 'I'll know it when I see it'.

And so I have finally made a fabric face, simple in design, simple in technique and one that will express the spirit and heart of the art dolls that I hope to make this year.  Could it be that by shear determination I have finally accomplished my goal? 

"It is the common wonder of all men, how among so many million faces, there should be none alike". - Thomas Browne

8 comments:

  1. Penny, I think that you did it! This face looks very real. Gita

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I really like this one and do see what you are talking about. And yes, it is the determination to not compromise that made it work. Good for you and thanks for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful face! It's going to be fun to see your dolls!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate your stick-to-it-tiveness (is that the word I'm looking for? ;) At any rate, yes, determination won out. I love that this face is stitched, the nose looks 3D, and yet it's simple. It won't take you forever (like some other faces we know!) to do this one. Great job! (I promise not to steal it. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful, simple little face...with your determination and stitching you have created your own little face and I look forward to seeing your 2011 dolls.

    Jacky xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. A fascinating process - and a delightful little face. The background stitching is particularly effective. Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stay tuned tomorrow for the first doll to use this face.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...