.quickedit{display:none;}

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Time and Art

I am reading a book about the artist and time and space. As I read the first chapter about time and how we relate to it I realized something about myself that was unexpected.

Because I am fortunate enough not to have to work outside the home I have large blocks of time in which to work (and play) in my studio. All along I have thought that those hours in my studio were 'free time'. I thought that I really wasn't putting any time constraints on my work. But as I read this book I realize that I am not free of time - not even close. Here's what I do. Mornings in my studio begin with turning the computer on. As we all know there is the little clock at the bottom right hand of the screen telling me exactly what time it is. Once my computer work is finished I turn to my artwork -- but I also turn on the radio. I love to stitch to classical music but every hour on the hour the news comes on (telling me exactly what time it is). Looking at these two basic daily rituals I realize that I am not in a 'time-free' zone at all. I am always somewhat conscious of the time and how I'm working to it. Can I get this section finished before lunchtime? Should I get out the sewing machine now or wait till later when I have more time?


Now I'm thinking that it might be fun, for at least one day a week, to not turn on the computer (until the end of the day when I'm finished creating) and to play cd's instead of the radio and see how I feel not having those time reminders in front of me all day.

We have time zones: Pacific time, Mountain time, Central Time, Eastern time - why not a 'time-free' zone? Wouldn't it be fun to spend time without thinking about the fact that you're 'spending' it. Wouldn't it be interesting to find out how 'hooked' I am to time and to always knowing pretty much what time it is?

Do you have any ideas about escaping from our man-made time zones?

"A single day is enough to make us a little larger or, another time, a little smaller". - Paul Klee

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post, Penny.
    I am bound to time. I work a 40+ hour job with deadlines within the deadlines. If I don't pace my time, I'm dead in the water.

    In my personal life, again bound by time. Time to deliver Cor to class. Time to have supper completed before time to pick Cor up from class.

    Time to get a load of clothes done before I go to bed.

    Too much time at the computer, not enough to feed my soul.

    My best time spent, without time to watch, is when I read.

    Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...