.quickedit{display:none;}

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Day In The Woods

Last week we went for a 'walk in the woods'.  Little did I know that it would last 3-1/2 hours, that I would wade through a stream, slush through mud and get rained on.  Am I a good sport or what?  This walk encompassed a rock outcrop -- where mosses and strange lichen cling to their places.

There were all sorts of plant life that I had never seen up close.  As we walked and stopped to look around and to take pictures this seemed like somewhat of an alien world.  What small creature lives inside this miniature cave?  Or could it be a forest sprite who was huddled inside his warm abode staying out of the rain (unlike we foolish humans who were getting damper and damper)?

At this time of the year, in this part of the country, color is all around us -- bright, brilliant green that almost hurts your eyes, flowering trees and bushes and small flowers surprising us each day. On this hill all of the colors were muted -- like someone had come along and erased the brilliance leaving only a traces of their former color. 

Each day, the world around me can bring surprises and little worlds that I am ever so happy to explore.  Hopefully the next time, it won't be raining!

"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order". - John Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...