.quickedit{display:none;}

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Goodbye Friend

We had a recent ice storm - this on top of several snow storms (some snow is still on the ground from December), rain, sleet and exceptionally cold weather.  So when the ice coated the tree branches it was just too much for some of them to withstand.

As I sat working in my studio I heard a loud thud as two huge branches fell on top of the garage roof.  These branches came from an old tree that has stood outside the back door for many, many years -- probably was here before the back door was even built. 

Once Frank, the tree man, came out and looked at what was left of the tree he told us that it would have to come down.  I guess our option was to take it down now or wait until the rest of it came down on top of our house (not really a pleasant thing to think about).  So the tree was removed.

As anyone who has read my posts knows -- I have an affinity for trees and to see one cut down is difficult for me.  Even when I know that it has to be done it hurts.  Once, we had to clear property in the forest to build a house (not this house) and as they cut one tree down they would come to us and say 'you really need to remove that one too' - it was like a huge amputation.  I finally could not stand it - but walked into the nearby forest and cried for the fact that we were removing those trees.  Believe me we did not remove any more than absolutely had to be taken down but still...

So one more tree in my life is being taken down -- it has served us well through the past five years that we've lived here, giving us shade in the summer, color in the fall and the sculpture of its trunk and branches during the winter.  I will miss it!

"He plants trees to benefit another generation." - Caecilius Statius

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about having to take down a tree. There's more than one member of my family who wept over the unnecessary destruction of trees when developers put up a new subdivision of houses near us.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...