.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Creativity



Today I would like to be silent -- and pass along words from another.  Jan Phillips has written the most beautiful tribute to creativity and I must share her thoughts with you.  This quotation sits on my work table (amongst all my other treasures).  When I am frustrated or seek inspiration or just need a moment of quiet I read these words:

"We get so caught up in the flurry of our lives that we forget the essential thing about art -- that the act of creating is a healing gesture, as sacred as prayer, as essential to the spirit as food is to the body.

Our creative work reveals us to ourselves, allows us to transform our experience and imagination into forms that sing back to us in a language of symbol who we are, what we are becoming, what we have loved and feared.

This is the alchemy of creation: that as I attempt to transmute a feeling or a thought into an artistic form that can be experienced by another, I myself am added to, changed in the process."

I pass this along to all of you out there who are bringing your artistic forms into being today.

"Art attracts us only by what it reveals of our most secret self." - Jean Luc Godard

3 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you for that! I'm going to have to copy that over for my own work table/studio. It is *so* true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quote...thanks, penny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this very lovely quote, I've printed a copy for myself & for Kat.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...