.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, July 11, 2011

The Sounds Around Me

As I walked this morning there were sounds everywhere.  We are fortunate to live in a neighborhood with very little traffic -- thus the sounds I hear on my early morning walks are purely natural.

This morning I heard the cackle of wild turkeys, the ever present caw of the crows, the busy sounds of the squirrels and then there were the various birds - hiding in amongst the foliage but making themselves known through their song.  And I wondered what 'silent' creatures were hidden away among the leaves and on the ground, those whose sounds I will never hear.

The above stitchery came out of a long ago "Quilting Arts" magazine.  It is one of the most wonderful stitched renditions of a crow (or raven - I'm never sure the difference between the two) that I have ever seen.    Sadly I do not know the name of the artist -- so I share it with you making apologies for not being able to give you the name, perhaps some of you recognize this needlework and will let us all know whose it is.

"A bird in hand is a certainty.  But a bird in the bush may sing". - Bret Harte 

2 comments:

  1. I think ravens are actually very big birds, but much the same shape as crows, so it's hard to tell from an embroiderer's representation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely reminder, Penny, to take the ear buds out and listen to nature when I'm walking instead.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...