.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, March 5, 2012

Felting - Oh My!

 Elynn Bernstein

It used to be the rule that you don't wash a wool sweater in hot water.  If you did, it was ruined as it had shrunk down to child size.  Those were the 'old days' -- these days we purposely pick up a 100% wool sweater (or skirt or anything), bring it home and shrink the dickens out of it.  After that  we cut it up and stitch pieces together.  We add pieces to mixed media artwork.  We create purses, hats, scarves and any number of wonderful things.   This is definitely a case where I don't long for the 'good old days'!!  As a side effect - what a wonderful recycling tool wool has become.

 Coat by Elynn Bernstein

Then there are those who make their own felt.  This is an arduous task - taking a lot of muscle because you literally have to 'beat' the wool into submission.  I take my hat (wool felted?) off to these creative and 'strong' women.  One of those women is Elynn Bernstein.  Elynn is a member of our InspiredArts Guild.  She dyes wool, felts it and creates beautiful and whimsical pieces of wearable art.

Hat by Elynn Bernstein

I love to use wool felt on the back of my punchneedle embroidery pieces.  It is malleable and yet strong.  The texture and colors are sooo perfect for stitcheries.  Here's to a new use for an old 'product'. 

"A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

4 comments:

  1. I was going to try to make felt once until I found out just how arduous it is! I too take my hat off to those who make felt! Her work is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The difficulty is finding 100% wool, these days, isn't it.

    Love that hat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been exploring felting lately and love wet felting...very satisfying watching it become felt. A few years ago I used to knit bags and then throw them into the washing machine to felt but I got bored with that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catching up again, Penny, thanks for this post! You know I love it, although I'm not as industrious at making large felted objects and cloth -- just little projects here and there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...