.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, August 4, 2014

Wading Through Life


No matter how 'old' I get, I still question myself.  It is almost as if there is an autobiography inside my brain and I keep reading and writing new chapters.  One of the questions I ask often is 'why don't you stick to one 'thing', one form, one format'?  Others do this and are quite comfortable within themselves.  I on the other hand, only seem able to flit back and forth from this to that.


But I think have finally figured out 'what I am'!!  I am a 'wader'.  I test the waters with my toes.  I wade in - up to my ankles -  loving everything that I'm doing.  Often after testing the waters I dive deep and swim awhile.


What I am not is a 'long distance swimmer'.  I must come on shore after a short of bit of getting wet.  I then must move to another beach which beckons me.  Realizing this about myself I can continue my journey on the edges of the water - perhaps gathering seashells as I go.

"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself now and then finding a smoother pebble or prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton

4 comments:

  1. Nice post, Penny! I'm a wader as well, and in spite of liking things to be staid, that sometimes borders on boring. So, have come to embrace wading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A good analogy. I was thinking that I can identify with it as well. EXCEPT that I am a slow fearful mover with a fear of diving in, a fear of drowning. So I inch around the edge and continue to collect the shiny rocks along the water edge. BUT..I am working on it. The CQ class has found me at leas ankle deep and treading further in. Yay me!!

    I enjoy watching your diverse projects and I think it's a good way to be. Keeps your imagination sharp!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto. An aunt of mine who collects china says I collect skills instead, but I rather like the idea of being a wader!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I become obsessive about certain interests for a while, then I want to dip into something new. I read The Vigorous Mind several years ago and loved it. The author advocates "cross-training" the brain with diverse interests and enthusiasms, broadening interests. I'm a wader, too, Penny. Here's to all of the wader's who try new things!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...