.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Symbols



In my creative life I find myself drawn to symbols - some of them over and over.


Here are my 'most used' symbols:

Bells, stars, the moon, birds, circles, dots, spirals, letters, music, metal, time.  I'm sure there are many others -- but these are the ones that usually end up in my work no matter whether I'm beading, punching or doll making.  These symbols represent comfort and joy.  They put the world to rights for me.  I never get tired of them and often read multiple meanings into them.


Here's the official definition for the word 'symbol'.

sym·bol - ( n.)


1. Something that represents something else by association, resemblance, or convention, especially a material object used to represent something invisible.
 

2. A printed or written sign used to represent an operation, element, quantity, quality, or relation, as in mathematics or music.
 
How about you -- do you find recurrent symbols appearing in your work?  I know that many of you have some of the same symbols list that I do, because I see these same symbols in the work I love to look at.
 
 
Isn't it wonderful to have a treasure trove of images flitting through your mind -- images that please you, bring you peace and make you want to flaunt them in your handwork?

"We are symbols, and inhabit symbols." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
 

5 comments:

  1. Ah, now I'll have to think about this, because I've not done so before. I have a recurring repertoire of stitches, but that's not quite what you mean, is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitelydefinitelydefinitely...and they would be spirals, circles, connecting lines and sets of threes....

    Looking very autumnal over here, Penny, such a pretty header for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This doll sure caught my eye in my blog roll!

    I had to think about this question for a moment. My ever recurring symbol in my creations, my home decor and yard decor is the Sun. The Sun is my symbol of Hope. The world is right when the sun is shining.

    Gosh I love that Doll!!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, there are numerous symbols for me, some the same as yours. The thing I find is that they are mostly things I can't touch, like the moon and certain music. Thus, some of their mystery remains. Perhaps that's one of the reasons I'm drawn to them!great doll, I want to see it all again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...