.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, October 1, 2012

My Place

 
My soul comes alive in the presence of vastness.  When I was recently in Nevada my grandchildren and I would go outside, into the dark of night, and sit looking at the stars above.   We could see from horizon to horizon.  I was in awe while my soul was at peace.


When I am in the desert, where the view is never ending, I feel my heart fill with the miracle of it all.  I celebrate this earth and my teeny, tiny place in it.

 
When the ocean waves break -- one after another -- and I look out to the horizon seeing all that water in front of me my heart sings.

 
I am such a miniscule part of this universe -- and looking at the world around me makes me realize that the every day of my life is only one iota of the whole system (if even that).  These thoughts free me -- they allow me to put everything into perspective.  I will never learn all of the mysteries of the universe but I am so very glad that I am here to nurture it as I can and let it nurture me.

"Do not look at stars as bright spots only. Try to take in the vastness of the universe." - Maria Mitchell

5 comments:

  1. Penny - so very well said, these places sing to my soul too. I had a life turning point in the desert of Death Valley in California. A true awakening and healing in my life. The beaches of Santa Cruz CA. were places of healing in my life too. Another chapter is about to begin - we have sold our home and are mountain bound! I am so excited and a little scared. This is the first big move I have done with family in tow. We will be looking to buy a home in November. Woo Hoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Horizons are a lot closer in Europe, but one of these days I hope to experience something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like that too.
    vastness makes my soul sing.
    someday I hope to visit a desert.
    some. day. soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen

    Oh, I hope you can -- I know you would love all that distance and space around you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Generally, I think people that know and appreciate the beauty of nature agree with you. Sadly, I think there are a lot of people that don't understand the value of what we love about this earth, nor do they have a priority to preserve it.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...