.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, July 28, 2014

Miss Emily D.


When I began preparing this doll figure, I wanted to convey my nostalgic feelings for that old-fashioned thing called 'letter writing'.  The kind that used pen and ink, script or print by the writer's own hand -- written, folded, sealed into an addressed envelope and sent on its way - with the writer hoping that it would arrive at its destination safely.



One of my favorite poets, Emily Dickinson, was a great letter writer.  Being the recluse that she was, this was often her best way to communicate with others.



In looking at some of her letters, I had to chuckle, because most of them began with an apology for 'being so late or tardy' in getting back to the person she was writing to.  That seems to be a universal and timeworn thing that letter writers do - apologize for their slowness in returning a letter.  I know that I always do - because I am always behind.



Thank you Emily for all of the words you laid down on paper -- they are lovely.

"They might not need me; but they might. I'll let my head be just in sight; a smile as small as mine might be precisely their necessity." - 

9 comments:

  1. Perfectly named lovely lady.
    I remember when my handwriting was actually pretty. Now it seems like I only address envelopes and make grocery and to-do lists.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, peaceful, and nostalgic harkening back to a time I miss. Like Carol, I almost never write anymore, and when I do it's barely legible. I must try to do better. I love all of your hand stitched embellishments, Penny, and Miss Emily Ds face is perfect. Writing quiets the spirit, and it shows in this face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I was attracted to the doll, who is beautiful in her own right, but then I realized the key was letter writing.

    A while back, I decided to set aside a day to write letters. To friends, occasionally, but mostly to my grandchildren. I wondered how to get them to write back, because to be satisfactory, letter writing is a two-way street.

    I'd recently read a novel that was written after two authors played the "letter game." It was a perfect idea to engage my grandchildren. Today, I'm mailing my second installment with high hopes of it continuing for a while. Here is a link to the novel that inspired me: Sorcery a& Cecelia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness, people getting a handwritten letter from me would have to set aside half a day just to decipher it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny... I too, am a huge Emily Dickinson fan (i.e. having made trips to Amherst, visiting her home, the cemetery where her headstone is, multiple editions of her work, etc. One of my very first art dolls was a tribute to one of her poems "unto me, I do no know you, where may be your house?"
    You doll is just a superb tribute to letter writing, Emily Dickinson's life and her poetry. Wonderful, wonderful! Daryle

    ReplyDelete
  6. With her soft greens and rusty browns she is so beautifully serene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the details are so perfect for Emily D! Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daryle - thank you so much for your comment. Coming from such beautiful dollmakers as you and Katie is very special to me.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...