.quickedit{display:none;}

Monday, December 12, 2011

Gifts


gift, n1. something given; a present. 2. act of giving. 3. the power or right of giving. 4. a quality, or special ability; natural endowment; talent.

I love number '3' in this definition of 'gift'.  Having the ability to give why ever would I not try to exercise that 'right' year round and in a variety of ways? I am so very, very grateful for my life, for the fact that I am comfortable, warm, never hungry and almost always happy.  These are gifts given to me -- and I want to share them with others. 

This is probably the worst time of the year to think about gifting - giving a gift tends to become a 'have-to' instead of a 'want-to'.  For those who aren't natural 'gifters' it becomes a chore to be endured.  For those who make gifting a part of their everyday life it takes the beauty out of a simple offering.

I love the idea of 'acts of random kindness' -- giving anonymously in little ways that might surprise the receiver and give me a glow for the rest of the day.  Those quiet, non-wrapped gifts of self, time or just observation of something that needs to be done, fill me with joy.  If I think about it -- giving to others is truly a gift to myself!

"The gifts that one receives for giving are so immeasurable that it is almost an injustice to accept them" - Rod McKuen

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you all the way here!

    Too much pressure on folk to BUY BUY BUY...

    ...too many kids bawling I WANT I WANT I WANT

    Maybe not enough people quietly saying "Thank you"...

    ...and not for anything in particular....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post - and today your gift to me was the gift of a much needed smile, thank you. Daily I count among my blessings those such as you have - a mostly happy life, more than enought food, clothes, and other accessories, and the sense to appreciate what I have.

    What is truly amazing, though, is the power that such intangible gifts have - the gift of holding a door open for someone, or offering a smile to someone you don't know. Today has been a mostly disconcerting day for me, so again, thank you for your gift of bringing a smile to my face, and for reminding me of all that I have to appreciate in this world. ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. It is a season to be thankful. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree it can be hard to remember among all the chores that giving is more fun than receiving. Maybe as well as the "Slow Food" movement we need a "Slow Christmas" movement, for those who want to buy less and think more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your final thought that giving is a gift to oneself. I never thought of it that way, but the joy it brings to the giver makes it thus. With that in mind, Rod McKuen's words then become extremely thought-provoking!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...