.quickedit{display:none;}

Friday, September 11, 2009

Into The Fog




I love the misty fog that has been gracing our hilltop these mornings. The cool damp air touches my skin like a balm against what will later become a warm southern day. It is bliss to start off on these walks up the hill with the forest surrounding me.






The forests in this area are very dense at this time of the year. From the ground up it is difficult to see further than a few feet into the deeply shadowed understory. The fog then tends to blur the view even more, like organdy fabric over everything. This all seems to make the forest itself even more mysterious. There is life in there, deep in the green depths of the woods. There are animals - deer, bear, bobcats, turkeys, squirrels, rabbits all living out their lives quietly unaware of me (unless I startle them). There are snakes and frogs and all manner of insects. There are spiders gently weaving their webs in amongst the foliage. Perhaps there are even elves and fairies hidden within - peeking timidly out to see what stranger is passing by. I hope I don't startle them as I am only passing by, enjoying their view and their solitude on this foggy morning walk.

"Derive happiness in oneself from a good day's work, from illuminating the fog that surrounds us". - Henri Matisse

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...