.quickedit{display:none;}

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Feet of Clay


I have to admit that working with paper clay has brought me excitement and lots of ideas. I had prepared three sets of legs - using cloth - when I decided that perhaps I could add a pair of shoes to at least one pair of those cloth feet. 


As I coated the feet in paper clay I decided to add some design to the shoe by making curvy lines.  It wasn't until I started the painting that I realized how difficult it was going to be getting the paint into those teeny, tiny lines.  Why do I do these things to myself?


Trying to put clay over already painted feet wasn't so bad - but the shoes then had to be painted without painting the legs and feet along the way.  One painting coat might be okay - but try three - one coat of raw umber, one coat of orange and lastly an antiquing wash.  I used the blue tape that one uses with regular paint projects.  Can you imagine how tiny those pieces of tape had to be?  

I'm paving a new trail for myself -- and finding out that stamina and perseverance are going to be my biggest need.

 "When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius

6 comments:

  1. Why do we do these things to ourselves, indeed? I think for the feeling of satisfaction when we succeed. Someone once said we are all selfish, that we don't do anything unless we get SOMETHING out of it. I agree, but think we have to sometimes ask if what we get is enough to balance the angst we have put ourselves through. I think these charming little shoes are saying "I'm worth it!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...pluck out a single hair and use a magnifying glass the next time!!

    x C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure you have no company, and take your time - this is clearly not something you can hurry..

    ReplyDelete
  4. But that's the fun, pleasure and gratification of painting yourself into a corner and finding a way out!!
    Cool shoes.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sense of satisfaction and pride comes through clearly, and no surprise! Is it feasible to make some foot forms/moulds and form the paperclay shoes in those?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful legs! I've been playing around ideas in my head with legs based on older style cloth dolls.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...