.quickedit{display:none;}

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Taking Flight"

Here I am, taking flight!!!  It seems that this year is turning into 'the year of flight' for me!  First my punchneedle bird series (still ongoing) and now an art doll with wings.  I love the idea that I can 'fly' anytime I want to - I just have to grab my needle and thread and take off.  I love the ideas that keep flitting into (and out of) my brain.  What if I do this or what if I do that?
To get technical, "Taking Flight" has a fabric base which I overstitched.  She is covered in a variety of embroidery stitches.  I hemmed and hawed over what I would do with her wings when I realized that the feather stitch would be oh so apropos!  However they seemed to be grounding me because it took so very long to stitch and overstitch all of these feather stitches.  And no, I didn't count them *smile*.

I'm excited about the possibilities for more 'abstract' body patterns and I'm sure you'll see more of them flying out of my studio as the months pass by - although not all of them will have wings.

"Flying dreams mean that you're doing the right thing with your life". - Doug Coupland

7 comments:

  1. Your doll is very interesting. The embroidery on her body reminds me of henna and India, a place that would be interesting to fly to. I really like her as well as your concept of flying. Gita/Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of the henna idea - and yes I think flying to Inda would be very interesting! Here's to flight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw "Taking Flight" earlier today and loved her, but I just didn't know what to comment about, so now I'm back with a few thoughts that have surfaced. First, oh my goodness(!), all that stitching and again, I just want to touch her! No matter which angle I view her from, she has so much movement; but at the same time she seems somehow undecided about which way to go. Her facial expression looks a bit undecided as if she's thinking about that. However, those wings are extended and her hair appears to be windblown, so I definitely get the feeling she's on her way somewhere. The back view shows the feather stitching in detail, and it's perfect for the delicacy of her wings. I love her spirals, and on that back view, they look like cute little "buns". ;) She tells a story like all of your dolls, Penny, and she's delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her! She is so compelling with her expression, the stitching, the sense of movement and the way it all comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Penny! Your stitching is amazing and she is just the right size by the looks to fit in many handy places. I am wondering what the fabric is underneath the stitching? You have created great texture. I am getting quite an urge to make a doll - you are enticing me further. Gilly

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhh, you know I love her...all those beautiful stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stitching and flying ... and a glass of champagne!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...